Estate planning creates a master plan for the management of your property during life and the distribution of that property at death. The most common mistake we see is an inadequate or incomplete estate plan. As provided under current law, with only a few strokes of a pen, investors can address some or all of the following issues depending on your situation:
- Give more control over your assets during your lifetime
- Assure that your loved ones are taken care of in the manner that they choose
- Maintain your privacy
- Allow for the transfer of wealth to whom and when wanted, at the lowest possible cost
- Minimize income and estate taxes
- Prevent administrative complications and provide care in the event of incapacity or disability
Special issues you may deal with are providing financial security for others, planning for children of a previous marriage, equalizing inheritances fairly, and retiring from your business.
While we do not prepare estate planning documents, our team keeps abreast of developments that may impact estate plans. We can help clients better understand important concepts that may help them prepare for a consultation with a qualified estate planning attorney. Our services in the estate planning process may include the following:
Review estate planning documents and discuss potential strategies
- Prepare a summary/flowchart of your estate plan
- Analyze estate strategies
- Coordinate with and provide data to your estate planning attorney
- Facilitate changes to beneficiary designations and retitling of accounts
- Consult on and assist in estate administration
This material has been provided for general informational purposes only and does not constitute either tax or legal advice. Investors should consult with a tax or legal professional regarding their individual situation.